Southern Ohio Genealogical Society, has a genealogy research section located inside the Southern State Community College Library, on North High Street (US 62N) just outside Hillsboro, Ohio, in the main building by the clock tower. To determine hours of operation go to Southern State Community College Library.
Please sign the guest book located in the SOGS research section. Let us know you were here!! We like to know who we are helping with their family research.
Everyone should have a library card for Southern State Community College, Hillsboro Public Library and the Columbus Library. Census records are available from Columbus.
Overview of the layout of the book collections –Genealogy section map!!
- Long South wall – General reference books and States – our largest collection are books on Pennsylvania. – Hard bound Family books are on the lower right shelves
- Short West wall – The state of Ohio and counties – Highland is just below eye level. — Soft and loose bound family references are in the magazine holders.
- File Cabinet – contains loose papers on families. These are in alphabetical order and are not listed in the reference book.
- Microfilm cabinets for Deeds and Census Records and the Readers (Practice is the BestTeacher!!)
- Census form that can be copied – return original to the drawer
- Location of the computer: To the right of the window. You will need your SSCC library card access code.
- Library Reference Book – The reference book is on top of the filing cabinet. The computer reference is also available at: To view the genealogy card catalog, Click Here SOGS Publications Catalog – All our publications available for purchase are listed along with an order blank that can be copied.
- Return books to the carts
Library Hours: June 26-Aug 18 Mon-Thurs 8am-6pm, Fri: 9-4. For more information go to: Southern State CC http://lrc.sscc.edu/